Monday, October 24, 2011

9/11 Images On A Can Of Diet Pepsi From Dubai? WTF?!

Photos and blog post by John Hoff

So yesterday I was in the chow hall on my Forward Operating Base here in Afghanistan, (all us soldiers refer to the chow hall as the "DFAC," short for "Dining Facility," but I write in a way to make myself understood by civilians as well as soldiers) and, as usual, I grabbed a diet cola to go with my meal. The Diet Pepsi served in our chow hall is not from the United States. It is manufactured in Dubai by Pepsi Arabia and says so right on the can.

Yesterday, for some odd reason I looked--I mean I really LOOKED--at the subtle "clip art" on the background of the can.

And I did a double take. I couldn't believe what I was seeing...

I examined the can for several minutes while my food grew cold, wondering if my eyes were deceiving me. But there was no getting around it. To either side of the Pepsi logo, there was an image of a jet airliner over tall buildings. Looking at the image, I couldn't help but think it alluded to 9/11.

Three other soldiers were sitting with me at my table. One of the other soldiers asked what I was looking at so hard. Instead of answering, I handed him the can and said, "Look at the artwork on this can. Do you see what I see?"

He looked. His eyes grew wide. He turned the can from side to side. The other soldiers at the table looked, too. None of us said anything. The phrase "9/11" never passed from our lips. We could LOOK at each other and understand we all saw the same thing, a "sneaky allusion to 9/11."

"Why are you even DRINKING that?" one soldier asked, as I finished the can.

"Hey," I said. "Pepsi is still Pepsi."

But that was when I vowed to, well, DO SOMETHING. Or, to put it another way, "See something? Say something."

Now, to argue against my own point, I will say this: not everybody in the world feels the tragedy of 9/11. To some people, an image of a jet against a skyscraper does not, in any way, allude to tragedy. To use another example: if I were from Thailand, an image on a Pepsi can of a big wave with grass huts in the background might remind me of the killer tsunami, but to most Americans it would just be a tropical image. (However, if I were responsible for marketing soft drinks in Thailand, I would make damn sure no artsy image that might be interpreted as alluding to the killer tsunami ended up on a soft drink can)

Here's the kicker: Pepsi is an AMERICAN product. It is only manufactured overseas because it is licensed to be manufactured overseas. So doesn't somebody in America have to approve the artist's can design before it ends up in MY ARMY CHOW HALL IN AFGHANISTAN?

If I didn't know better, I'd think some artist in Dubai is gloating about 9/11 and he managed to incorporate this image, in a sneaky way, into some "can art."

Oh, wait, did I say "if I didn't know better"?

I guess I really mean to say...

I don't know any different.

I'm left scratching my head (just on the side, where I can reach under my helmet) and wondering, WTF?

23 comments:

  1. It's a special commemorative can (one of four) to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Dubai's independence. It's Dubai's skyline; it's got nothing to do with 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was horrified to see this! I posted it all over facebook, and on Pepsi facebook wall as well. My post was very quickly deleted. I have 2 sons in the Iowa Army National Guard and one of them has deployed twice, the other just finished AIT. I find this to be a huge slap in the face to all people who lost loved ones in 9/11 as well as all the American Soldiers who are or have served. I will never, ever purchase a pepsi product again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the skyline of Dubai not New York. One of seven images on cans made in Dubai.

    http://www.ameinfo.com/282502.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to admit. The star is in just the right place to match where one of the airliners hit. Then you have the airplane over the skyscrapers.

    Could be something. Might not. But you know, they spend lots of money hiring psychologists in advertising and it's kinda hard to believe that staff actually missed the possible interpretations of THIS one.

    If there were MORE "random stars", I'd say it was random accident. But there is only one, in just the right place. Why is a star in the midst of mostly bubbles? Why ONE star? The star could be representative of an explosion, too.

    I think Pepsi advertising execs really missed the ball on this one. If this happens to spread around too much, could mean lots of bad Press for Pepsi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to do what ever sales! OR they are owned by a group who want to support the attack on 9/11!! Suni Perkins

      Delete
  5. OMGOODNESS!!! Is this true?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i know an exec at Pepsi/U.S., I'll fwd them this disturbing pic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diet pepsi contains aspartame. You've got to be stupid to drink that stuff in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there a reason for the coke advertisment at the bottom of this article?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although it does look very similar, it's the Dubai skyline... http://www.terrymooreimages.com/p23305403/h214928B9#h214928b9

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a silhouette like a Rorschach test. You see what you want to see. And since people like to complain, thet see something they want to complain, about rather than seeking the truth and facts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First, THANK YOU for your service.
    Secondly; Pepsi has forever lost my business. I will not purchase another pepsi product... EVER. Disgusting!
    Now, I have to go educate myself on all products Pepsi so I don't accidentally purchase one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nick Hoffman
    ****I am an 8 year veteran from the Army. I will ALLWAYS STAND BEHIND PEPSI. WITH 3 COMBAT TOURS AND A PURPLE HEART RECIPIENT I SEE SOUL KOREA HERE, BANGLADESH, LAS VEGAS, KANSAS CITY. I SEE NONE WHAT SO EVER RESEMBLENCE OF THE TWIN TOWERS. AND I PASSED MY VISION TEST....PEOPLE PEPSI IS A VERY LARGE SUPPORT OF OUR TROOPS, AND OF MOWHAWK MAN. I WILL STAND BEHIND PEPSI 100% ON THIS ONE.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yet again, stupidity rules the world. Yes Agree with others, does look like a Dubai skyline. Now if the rest of the world would do research on this instead of acting stupid, the world would be a better place

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh for those of you talking never buying pepsi products.. Start reading now, your shopping list is gonna be impacted. make sure you go threw all their brands pages

    http://www.pepsico.com/Brands/Frito_Lay-Brands.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. regaedless of what it might look like and not look likke it should never of been that close to wha happen at 9 11 tht is just so wrong of pepsi not to have control over what these people r doing many people died on 911 and clearly those people r celebrating and pepsi needs to steo up and put a stop to it

    ReplyDelete
  16. It does not look like the World Trade Center to me--trouble is--people jump on these bandwagons and play their own tune. Ill probably get 20 emails NOT TO DRINK PEPSI. I love our military and thank them everyday!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. "If I didn't know better, I'd think some artist in Dubai is gloating about 9/11"

    Dear lord. This is why our world is going to hell in a handbasket. Our civilians are all fast asleep in their recliners while the teevee blares CNN, meanwhile all our best and brightest Johnny Guardsmen think the Arabs did 9/11, when all the available evidence points in another direction entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Zionists love to brag.

    ReplyDelete
  19. the angle of the shadow shows about 8:45 am, when the tower was hit.

    http://roman-forums.com/minipic/images/636pepsi_can_dubai_closeu.jpg

    the bubbles are all circles, except two. when overlaid on an overhead view, the bottom of the bubbles have the same angle as the shoreline, the two odd bubbles go where the towers were, and the rest of the bubbles outline the path of the haze.

    http://roman-forums.com/minipic/images/683wtc_bubbles_aerial_vie.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think this is true.This might be just coincident. Nothing is related to 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. I was away from the blog for a while. Ghazni province was very primitive and it was tough to get time on the internet, never mind the fact I was WORKING all the time. I didn't realize all the discussion on this thread because another moderator was approving the comments while I was busy.

    Anyway, I brought back two of these cans to the United States. They were in my rucksack and are a little worse-for-wear, but it's easy to see the images.

    The question is WHAT TO DO WITH THE CANS? How can I draw more attention to this issue?

    Even if that's the skyline of Dubai, this is an AMERICAN product consumed by AMERICAN soldiers. Literally EVERY American soldier who has looked at these images with me sees the same thing I see. The problem is, the images are "clip art." Nobody even looks at the design on the can unless somebody draws their attention to it.

    But once they do, they see a 911 image. Every time.

    ReplyDelete

Comment will be visible after approval. No trolls, spam, racist, abusive or sexually explicit comments.